The best way to get the most from your roof is to perform annual inspections. You can either do this yourself or hire a professional to come take care of it for you. There are certain factors that need to be considered during an inspection. So long as you are aware of these, you can inspect your roof as often as you like. But to get a thorough inspection, it is highly recommended to get a licensed contractor on site to look things over at least once a year.
The weather is not the only potential threat to your roof. Moisture from inside can also cause shingles to warp, so it is a good idea to inspect your attic space. It is a good idea to have your insulation regularly upgraded. You need to keep humidity out of the air because it can cause structural damage. Adding to your insulation also helps to reduce your energy bills so you can save money on utilities.
Once you move to the outdoor part of the inspection, you can do so by climbing a ladder or by using binoculars to get a general idea of the condition of the most important aspects. Should you notice any problems, you need to contact a professional contractor. The key signs you need to look out for include:
- Curling or cracked shingles, specifically around the bottom edge of the roof
- Blistering which can indicate manufacturer defects or poor ventilation
- Loose or missing shingles and popped nails are a requirement for immediate repair or replacement
- Cracked sealant along the chimney, flashing, skylights or vents
- Buildup of debris along the edges and gutters which can interfere with proper water drainage
- Moss growth on the roof which indicates the presence of rot below the surface
- Algae is more cosmetic but still needs to be removed
After you complete your initial assessment, you need to decide if you want to handle the repairs yourself, or if you need to bring in a professional. Simple fixes like cracked flashing or some missing shingles can be handled by most do-it-yourselfers, but more serious issues should be handled by a roofing contractor.
For any of your roofing needs, be it inspection, repair or replacement; do not hesitate to contact us. If you have noticed some issues with your roofing, we will be happy to take a closer look and can guarantee a solution that works for you and your budget.